Sunday, January 2, 2022

40k2ndACIII Month 1 - Tactical Acumen

Month 1 (December 2021) of the 40k 2nd Edition Army Challenge 3 (40k2ndACIII) by c0wabunga.com comes to an end with the completion of my first pledged units, a Champion Chaplain and Tactical combat squad.



Ive had great fun painting these, pulling in themes and schemes as noted in previous blog posts. The completed squad looks great if I do say so myself. Im particularly happy I was able to squeeze in a MkVI armoured marine as these have always been my favourite since the first plastic marines way way back. The squad was not without its challenges because as with the dreadnought project I found the period transfers were really poor and massively oversized compared to the images of the models from the time.  Very odd but thankfully 21st century (specifically Primaris release) transfers have almost everything required at a slightly reduced and more pleasing size.


The Champion Chaplain is not something mentioned as yet.  Many retro fans may question the choice of chaplain model in preference for the obvious Death Company chaplain of the era. It would certainly be the more blood angel appropriate choice, but the chosen model actually features in the Angels of Death codex as the 3rd company chaplain, and so was a pick (and purchase) to add to my 3rd company. I just need to source / make the appropriate banner for him.






So that is the first month of 40k2ndACIII complete, and I managed to complete the planned 'slice' almost...  we are missing the 2 banners and the basing is not done (though i did at least paint the base).  For banners I want to try metal banners and hand paint them, these look better than printed and the banner stickers of the time dont cover all the options required for the army so there would be a mix of types. So ive decided these will be covered as an additional task to do as I get time and not hold up or overcomplicate each months challenge. Bases also I want to be cohesive so im waiting to receive some new supplies sufficient to do all the models in the army.

Thanks for reading, do check out the other armies over at c0wabunga.com and here are some more images of the painted squad. Thanks, Rich.












No comments:

Post a Comment

40k2ndACIII Month 4 - Heavy Metal

March was the biggest month in my plan, 2 vehicles. In words not so much, but the preparation, sub assemblies and amount of detail was even ...