Tuesday, February 1, 2022

40k2ndACIII Month 2 - Total Devastation

Month 2 (January 2022) of the 40k 2nd Edition Army Challenge 3 (40k2ndACIII) by c0wabunga.com saw me complete my Devastator combat squad. Equipped with a missile launcher and a heavy bolter this would be a straightforward task... but lets add a little twist. 



This group of models contains yet more of the details that inspired me to this project. As with month 1 and the sergeant and flamer marine, this months continues to take inspiration from the 2nd edition 40k box art. Pictured are 3 devastator squad members, discounting the deceased marine in the foreground, rest easy brother, your geneseed will be recovered!. 



1st we have a supporting marine with bolter, his helmet adorned with lightning/strike(?) symbols. 


The 2nd has marked his shoulder trims with yellow dags, he also carries a bolter with more red and yellow dags. 


The 3rd is equipped with a missle launcher emblazoned in bright red, blue and yellow with flame graphics on the barrel, a truly 90's hero of the imperium, in a final display of individuality he has also painted his face mask in the yellow of the blood angel assault squad


Leading the squad is the almost mandatory blood angels devastator sergeant with powerfist, a delicious model using his mighty power fist to... point at a target across the battlefield. Still, its a standout model of the era for the blood angels and had to be included and painted as per the box/codex art, points and effectiveness be damned.


The final member of the squad is a heavy bolter wielding marine, with a plain black weapon casing with the small flourish of a yellow blood angels symbol, as the box art showed. 


To round out the painting additional campaign and squad symbols have been added, with the squad symbols needing to be painted freehand as the transfers I had from the original box proved to be far too oversized to fit. I am having no luck with 90s transfers!

These unique marines gave me a great opportunity to try some freehand and im super happy how they came out, it was great fun pushing my skills on the helmet markings.

While the sergeant has his banner pole I am yet to complete any banners as part of this challenge. Hopefully I can rectify this when I get supplies (or a better printer). What I could complete was the basing on the models from this month and last, so I now have a much nicer finished and cohesive force.

Next month we bring in some chapter command support and continue to add 'spice' to the painting with the first of Dr Vikings special rounds 'The red circus', which wants me to add some red to the army... I think I have a fun way to add some unexpected red to my red blood angels and cant wait to share it with you all :0)


No comments:

Post a Comment

40k2ndACIII Month 4 - Heavy Metal

March was the biggest month in my plan, 2 vehicles. In words not so much, but the preparation, sub assemblies and amount of detail was even ...