Wednesday, March 30, 2022

40k2ndACIII Month 4 - Heavy Metal

March was the biggest month in my plan, 2 vehicles. In words not so much, but the preparation, sub assemblies and amount of detail was even more than I had expected. But the results… I’m so happy! 



In previous slices I’ve taken inspiration from the Angels of Death codex, but this month I’ve gone back to White Dwarf 141 and a rogue trader battle report. The codex focused on 2nd company, and I’ve accounted for that previously, but I wanted to try and find something different and the 3rd company markings from those older models was just the ticket.

The rhino in the battle report is assigned to squad 1, just like the squad I painted in December, and has a few unique markings such as the white panel for the squad number. 


I sent an age cleaning and preparing, and repairing, this model. I took some bold decisions such as trimming the inside track piece flush for a cleaner look, and removing the rear hull ‘flaps’ which half cover the light bar, but I like the overall look. The rear exhaust tips are home made and not perfect but not especially obvious, bolters are swapped for marine ones as it was all I had (but I actually really like the look) and a single smoke launcher because I only had the one  

Painting wise I used and airbrush to get the base and layer coats down which worked well, but did make it difficult to tidy up any mistakes. Company markings on the doors and squad marking on the roof and front panel were done freehand, nerve wracking! But again I’m super happy with achieving that result.


 


The battle report does also features a rogue trader landspeeder, crewed by a lieutenant no less! But that’s an idea for another time as I’m not painting one that old so my chunk of metal takes more from the codex scheme, with a little old school hazard striping on the lower engine cowling for a bit of fun. 


Working with old metal is always a challenge, but this was a chore. Nothing was straight or fit and everything was covered in an inch of glue. I kept most pieces as sub assembly which helped with painting, right until the end when I dropped the engine piece and dented and flattened some of the details and edges and chipped a bunch of paint off. Gutted. I was able to paint over but the damage is irreparable without major surgery and green stuff work. Not too noticeable tho.

The speeder got 8th squad marking as the codex version did, but I also gave them the correct knee pad icon, something missing from the codex. I have a number of other jump pack marines, bikes and speeders and so could probably paint up companies the full 20 assault marines eventually.

For basing I went with a steel rod drilled right into the core of the model and into a 60mm round base. It’s not 90’s but I have zero interest in dropping or knocking this model off a tiny clear period flying base. Sorry not sorry!


So an easy but brutal month but I’m glad I persevered and got it done. I’ll say again just how happy I am with these models. The rhino is gorgeous, and the landspeeder the model I remember buying from Metro-Centre Gateshead GW when it came out so very happy to add it to the force. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

40k2ndACIII Month 4 - Heavy Metal

March was the biggest month in my plan, 2 vehicles. In words not so much, but the preparation, sub assemblies and amount of detail was even ...